Thursday, December 01, 2005

 

Family

From an Article in the November 2005 Saveur:

"Rena rose every morning before dawn. 'We worked daylight to dark. On winter mornings, I had to put on a coat and overshoes to go into the kitchen to build up the fire for the cookstove,' she remembers. 'I made oats, biscuits, sausages and bacon, eggs, and coffee. Oh, and corn bread, always corn bread.' On Sundays she would make breakfast and cook lunch before they started on the three-mile trek to the Church of Christ in Blue Springs. The older children [there were 13 in all in the family] walked, and Rena and William each carried a little one. 'We'd come back home to eat; then in the afternoon we'd walk the three miles over to the Sinks ([community])* to another church service. It was where my grandpa went, and it was a chance to see him. I loved Sundays.' Rena says."

Whew! I guess I'm pretty spoiled. I don't think I could conjure up a feeling of love for such an endeavor. Could you?

* I couldn't figure out how to handle the quoting the brackets in the article, so I just enclosed them in the parens. The other set of brackets are mine.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?